Complications of prolonged perforation of the eardrum
A perforated eardrum can cause several complications such as –
- Hearing loss – A rupture in the eardrum can be risky if it is left untreated for too long. The size and location of the tear usually affect the extent of hearing loss. A prolonged perforated eardrum can also cause permanent hearing loss.
- Frequent ear infections – A perforation in the ear allows the accumulation of bacteria in the ear. This results in frequent ear infections that may worsen the perforation in the eardrum. Sometimes, chronic infections can also lead to hearing loss.
- Middle ear cyst – Prolonged infections often lead to the formation of cysts that mainly comprises skin cells and debris that develop in the middle ear. The cyst is usually a long-term result of eardrum rupture where the ear debris can pass into the middle ear if there is a hole in the eardrum.
Cost of tympanoplasty in major cities in India
Here is a breakdown of the cost of tympanoplasty in major cities in India. This cost range should be taken only for reference purposes since the actual cost can vary depending on several factors such as location, selection of healthcare facility, selection of the healthcare facility, cost of diagnostic tests, consultation fee of the ENT specialist, hospital stay (if required), etc.
|Cost of tympanoplasty
Rs. 48, 000 – Rs. 55, 000
|Rs. 45, 000 – Rs. 56,000
Rs. 54,000 – Rs 64,000
Rs. 50, 000 – Rs. 60,000
Rs. 45,000 – Rs. 55,000
Rs. 45, 000 – Rs. 56,000
Different tympanoplasty techniques used to treat a ruptured eardrum
Different techniques are used during tympanoplasty that can depend on the severity of the perforation and preference of the surgeon. Some of the surgical methods to treat perforated eardrum are –
- Patch Tympanoplasty – It is a minor procedure where the ENT surgeons place a small patch over the hole in the eardrum. The procedure usually takes a few minutes to complete with almost no post-surgery complications.
- Fat Tympanoplasty – In this procedure, the surgeon freezes the ear lobe to remove a small amount of fat tissue. The fat tissue is then placed in the eardrum through the hole. This technique can roughly take 15 minutes, depending on the surgical expertise of the surgeon.
- Medial Tympanoplasty – This procedure is slightly complex as it involves minimal incisions behind the ear to access the eardrum. The surgeon then lifts the eardrum to graft the tissue under it. The whole procedure can take around 30 minutes to one hour to complete.
- Lateral Tympanoplasty – This technique is used when the hole in the eardrum is significantly large or other surgical methods are ineffective against the perforation. The surgeon makes an incision behind the ear to remove the eardrum. A new eardrum formed from a tissue graft is then implanted back into the ear. The duration of such type of surgery usually takes up to 2 hours.
What to expect after the Tympanoplasty surgery?
You will be shifted to the observation room to see the recovery process, where your health will be monitored after the procedure. You may feel dizzy as the effect of anesthesia begins to wear off. You may feel slight discomfort around the area of the incision. A dedicated nurse will monitor your vitals to check your recovery process after the surgery.
You may be discharged within 24 hours of surgery if the doctor sees significant recovery with no signs of complications. There may be swelling, redness, or discomfort around the surgical site, which will subside by prescribing medications by your doctor. The doctor will prescribe you medications and post-recovery tips for smooth recovery. You may be asked for a follow-up visit within a week to check your progress.
Book an appointment for your deviated septum with the top ENT specialist today.
You can fill out the appointment form on our website with your details. Our staff will get in touch with you at the earliest and gather necessary inputs from your end. An appointment will be fixed with the consecutive ENT specialist according to your schedule, and a nominal consultation fee will be charged.