What are the advantages of septoplasty?
Septoplasty offers the following benefits –
- Improved breathing – Septoplasty removes nasal obstruction and improves overall breathing since the nasal passages are opened up.
- Fewer sinus infections – Septoplasty ensures removal of nasal obstruction that can cause accumulation of bacteria and pathogens leading to chronic sinus infection. Correcting the deviation allows proper drainage of the mucus from sinuses that were previously narrowed or partially blocked.
- Better sleep quality – Correcting a crooked septum not only improves airflow but also reduces several agents that may obstruct sleep. Septoplasty eliminates obstruction in the nasal septum for improved breathing and reduced snoring. This often benefits people with sleep apnea and improves the overall quality of sleep.
- Improved senses – Patients with a history of impaired sense of smell or taste due to congestion in the nasal cavity benefit from the surgery. Septoplasty improves both senses by correcting the inclination in the nasal passage.
How to prepare for septoplasty surgery?
Your healthcare facility or ENT doctor may provide some instructions to you before the surgery to minimize the complications after the surgery and help you prepare for the surgery. Some of the pre-surgery instructions or tips before septoplasty are as follows –
- Do not wear makeup on the day of the surgery.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing on the day of the surgery.
- Refrain from taking any blood thinners such as ibuprofen, aspirin, etc., at least one week before the septoplasty to reduce complications during the surgery and decrease the chances of excessive blood loss.
- Inform your doctor of any medical conditions or medications to avoid any complications during the surgery.
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol before surgery as it may affect the surgical procedure as well as the recovery period.
- You will be advised to not eat or drink 8 to 9 hours prior to the surgery. This may impede the effects of anesthesia. The doctor usually advises skipping dinner or not taking any meal after midnight before the day day of surgery.
- You may have to remove your jewelry or nose piercings before going to the hospital for septoplasty. Therefore, it is recommended you leave them at home.
Questions to ask your ENT doctor before septoplasty.
- Will the surgery change the shape of my nose?
- Can I undergo rhinoplasty after the septoplasty?
- Can I treat a deviated septum through medication?
- Can septoplasty improve all the deviated septum symptoms?
- Are there any alternative treatment options except septoplasty surgery for deviated nasal septum?
- I am taking treatment for another medical condition. Is it possible to undergo septoplasty at the same time?
- How long is the recovery duration?
- Will septoplasty cure my allergies?
Book an appointment for your deviated septum with the top ENT specialist today!
You can fill out the appointment form on our website with your details. Our staff will get in touch with you at the earliest and gather necessary inputs from your end. An appointment will be fixed with the consecutive ENT specialist according to your schedule, and a nominal consultation fee will be charged.